Healthy Living Starts With Commitment


A recent visit to my personal physician stirred thoughts of what healthy living really means. The focus of this visit, as has been mentioned on the last few visits, was my weight. I told myself a year ago that I was taking it off my goal list. It has been there for a while and I wasn't doing anything about it. You see, I am a yo-yo dieter. When I am good, I am great. Then I take my eyes off the prize and slide back to where I do not wish to be. Now the reality is staring me in the face. It must be dealt with once and for all. As you read this, you may be thinking, but Dr. Stephanie, you are a doctor. You know the health benefits of maintaining a healthy weight and lifestyle. Knowing something and doing something about it are two different things.
This morning I woke up early and decided to coach myself back to a healthy lifestyle. Not just with my weight, with life. With my physician, we looked at my weight. Are there other areas of my life that need a fresh look? Are there areas in your life that need a fresh perspective? From time to time we do need to take a step back and evaluate whether the automatic activities we engage in on a daily basis are yielding the results we desire. Or, are there activities we need to modify to yield the results we desire.
Here are a few areas to explore:
1. Are you on track to living a healthy life for 2013? Have you had your age appropriate health screenings? Are you following your doctor's recommendations?
2. What are some of the stresses in your life? What can you do to decrease the negative affects they have on you?
3. Are you carving out time for fun, rest, relaxation, and exercise?
4. Are you taking the steps to develop a healthy financial life?
5. What religious or spiritual practices can you incorporate into your daily life to support you?
Taking inventory of our lives provides for the opportunity to grow, expand our experiences, and live more abundantly.
Healthy Living begins when you decide to make it a priority in your life. With that one shift in perspective everything is possible. Life comes alive. Now you are directing your actions, rather than your actions directing you.
Three quick tips to directing your actions:
1. Write down what you truly desire in your life. This is not a new strategy, but how many of us really do it.
2. Review your goals every morning at the start of your day. The act of reviewing your goals daily guides your actions.
3. Get support to stay on track. Tell a family member or friend what you want to accomplish so they can help keep you on track. A coach can help you brainstorm ideas, champion you, and hold you accountable for doing what you say you are going to do.
Success in life is possible for anyone once the commitment is there.
Stephanie A. Wellington, MD, Medical Coach and Mentor is founder of Best Life For Medical Professionals. Best Life for Medical Professionals is created out of the increasing demand for expert coaching and mentoring for doctors, nurses, nurse practitioners and other medical professionals in the face of an evolving medical field. Through coaching, professionals are guided to become top performers in their careers and in their lives. Visithttp://www.BestLifeForMedicalProfessionals.com to learn more and get started with your Free Strategy Session.

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire